It’s so easy to get lost in a world where the biggest bully can be one’s self talk somehow induced by what we see in the media and what we’ve been told. Whenever I started to plan a diet, an exercise regimen or big projects… it all seemed way too big for me to tackle (procrastinator, BIG TIME!). So, as soon as I started with Health Coach training, I discovered that there is in fact a way to turn this negative self talk lower and raise the bar of hope for myself.
My self confidence had been shattered due to all the failed promises I had made to myself; so, from now on I did many things to boost my self esteem and learn to fall in love with the real me.
Here are a few action steps that helped me along the way:
1. Keep promises to myself: if I decide I need some time for myself, I need to honor this promise of scheduled me time. Whoever or whatever wants to get in the middle can certainly wait (yes ladies, that includes your man friend). This way, I put myself first and learn to sit with my wonderful self for a little while.
2. Make a list: A to-do-list is always helpful and in my case, it helps reduce anxiety when I need to tackle the big stuff. So, instead of writing “I want to lose those extra 5 lbs”, I write down “get 30-45 minutes of exercise done today”. In other words, suit up and show up.
3. Start small: a little bit goes a long way.
4. Keep a journal: Dear diary is always a faithful ally. Writing down your thoughts, whatever disturbs you or… even better! Write down what made you smile today. It’s a good way of over writing the bad stuff.
5. Do things I love: I enjoy the scenery of the top of a mountain after conquering a hill on a bike, running with a buddy, just sitting with a cup of tea and watching a good movie every now and then.
“It´s never too late to be what you might have been”. Enjoy the wonderful gift of the present and the pure and simple life.